Thursday 1 December 2011

Object Project Final Ideas

After the group critique I decided to head in a different direction with my bottle work. I tried out numerous different types and lengths of threads in the bottles to show size comparison relative to each bottle.
Here are a few of the different ideas I tried.


In these bottles I put 6 metres of pink thread. I lodged one end of the thread next to the cork on each bottle and bundled up the rest of the thread into the bottle.

In this one I made the thread bundle suspend in the middle of each bottle.

Here I used some thicker ribbon like thread in black. This time I put 5 foot 4 1/2 inches in each bottle, which is my height.



I also tried out a few ideas with white balloons but everything I tried looked so rubbish I didn't take any photos and forgot about that idea completely.

Here is the thread I eventually settled on. It is roughly the shape thickness as the previous thread, but this one is slightly see through. I think this gives a better effect because when it is bundled up in the tiniest bottle it looks much darker. As with the largest bottle it appears much lighter because there aren't as many thread layers.

I also decided to change my largest bottle to a slightly smaller one. This was mainly because my original large bottle had a slightly blue tinge, and I felt this distracted from what was actually in the bottles. I feel this new one is a much better fit.

The idea I have come up with for the meaning behind these bottles and the thread is probably a little vague but maybe its enough. To me it's about how a person can appear big/important/dominant in a small group/situation/story, but can appear insignificant in a much larger one. It sort of  deals with shyness which has always been an issue for me, but does change depending on the situation. Like how many people I'm around or how big a group I have to speak to.

 Based on this idea, I thought about maybe filling the rest of the bottle with something else to help represent 'everything/everyone else'. But for now I am going to see how it is received in tomorrow's Group Tutorial.

For the Group Tutorial tomorrow I have displayed my bottles on a window sill as this was the only available surface I could use at short notice. In hind sight, I should have planned better and made a plinth for them much earlier.
However, I have booked a workshop session in order to make a plinth next week. So, I will have a plinth to display them on in time for the final deadline in a weeks time.


No comments:

Post a Comment