Monday 30 April 2012

Childhood Bookcase

I cleaned up a small blue bookcase in preparation for displaying my books for my final piece for this project. It used to be in my room when I was young, but has since been stored away in the garage for a good few years. It had however stood the test of time well, having only a few scratches and the odd fleck of paint. But I gave it a good clean and it looks pretty decent.


In my opinion it's height is extremely well suited to my purpose because it's about 'bar' height. By which I means its a good table/surface for someone standing up i.e. you can place an open book on the top and it's at a very suitable height to read/view the book quite comfortably.


Like I said, there is is odd scratch or crack in the paint work but there is not much else I can do about this apart from repainting it completely which I don't really think I need to do. I want it to be as original as possible. Plus I love the colour.

The one thing I was a little worried about was these chipped corners on the back of the bookcase. But you can't really seeing them when viewing it from the front, and it will be up against a wall. You also have to get down really low, like I did for these photos, to see the flaws in their entirety so they shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm planning to put my books on the top shelf and having some sort of prompt letting the viewer know they are allowed/supposed to browse the books. Then they can hold the book in their hand or place it on the top of the bookcase and view the interventions into the pages.

I'm now off to decide on which additional books I should include in my piece and also make some mock up designs. I have a tutorial in 3 days so it is essential that I make something to show how my idea has evolved now so that the tutor can fully understand my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment