Monday 23 April 2012

Developing My Project

I tried out some ideas to do with the structure of my page covers.



I tried out a square corner cut out instead, but have decided that I prefer the quarter circle. I also decided that the sand paper should be a strip about 1cm wide vertically between the two cut outs. Any thinner and it's too small to feel it, any wider and it takes over the page. I also really like how the brown contrasts with the white of the page.

I also decided to pursue my idea of illustrating certain things that would scare me into the turning the page. So I made quick sketch of a head stone with my sister's name on it. 


It looks pretty naff, but it is only a sketch I suppose. So I made a more polished version and simplified it a little. I also applied the name and dates with letraset to give it a cleaner less hand-drawn feel.


But I then felt that this might not be universal enough. A stranger looking through the book would not who Joellen Fowler is and wouldn't have the urge to turn the page. So I decided to make it more general. I thought about things that don't necessarily scare adults, but issues that adults wouldn't necessarily like to consider for a long period of time, and therefore turn the page due to the gut reaction of a personal comment.

Also although the illustrations would link nicely with the style of the book, statements about situations would fit better as these are more suited to what adults have to react to. They won't  usually be presented with an image of something scary or bad, they will be told something is happening/about to happen that they should fear.

So I made one physical mock up with letraset, and then a few graphically.







So I could either recreate these directly onto the page covers using letraset or I could print them on to paper and remake the covers. However I do it, I really like the simplicity of this idea and added to the pages with the corner cut outs and sandpaper edge I think it would look really good. I'll have to come up with a few more to fill the 14 page covers I have though.

Another idea I had that linked to this was cutting out certain parts of the page covers to reveal the page underneath. One line I found fitted especially well.

However, this was on the opposite side of the page to where I want the main focus to be. Also there are not always phrases on the pages that fit in with this theme. I also don't think I could combine these two ideas, as they would hinder each other. If the viewer concentrates too much on the cut outs, they won't turn the pages as quickly as they should do. If they concentrate too much on the written statements they could miss the cut outs altogether making them redundant and pointless. So I'll keep this idea in mind whilst moving forward, but in my opinion, my alternate idea is much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment