Monday 23 April 2012

Irina Werning

I came across Irina Werning's work whilst watching a photography documentary on line. Amongst all her work her standout project for me was 'Back to the Future'. Here she recreates old photos bought to her by strangers from across the globe.
It started off with her recreating family and friend's pictures, and when she put the project on line, people from across the globe contacted her asking if she could do the same for them. She puts a lot of effort into recreating the pictures from the location they were taken in to finding exact copies of the clothes the people were wearing and the things they were holding. It is in these details that the pictures really do shine. They are sometimes quite strange to look at because of how similar they are but I think it is a really great concept.

All photos taken from here.







 I think this idea links nicely with my project because in essence it is recapturing childhood memories, but in the form of a photograph. My project links as much with childhood memories, but instead links with a book and a more abstract memory rather than a physical one captured in a photograph.

Looking at this artist may not have heavily influenced my project that much but it has helped me think about how I can recreate what it felt like to be terrified of looking at those pages in that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment