Tuesday 14 February 2012

Finishing the Hat



These are some pictures of my finished hat with the spike and hollow spheres added. The next few pictures are some detail shots of the hollow tin foil spheres. I made them by folding and pressing multiple layers of tin foil around various balls and beads. I then trimmed the edges and glued them on to the hat in this grouped formation.




 I also made a wool felt pad for the inside to make it a little more comfortable to wear. I made it by stabbing a special felter's needle into unspun sheeps wool to tangle the fibres together and make this soft circular pad. I then glued it to the centre inside. It cushions the head quite well without filling up too much space in the hat.


Overall, I am fairly pleased with how it turned out. I would have liked to have made multiple designs and will probably do so if I carry on with this project in the future. Tin foil was a fairly difficult material to work with so next time I would probably pursue Mylar foil a little more and see if that would be a viable hat material instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment