Monday 6 February 2012

Advertisment Research

My tutors recommended that I look at a couple of different advertising ideas. The first idea was products on channels like QVC and generic shopping channels. Mainly products that have a fairly silly purpose, make the user look ridiculous or are so pointless no sane person would buy them, but they do which any fuels the industry even more.

Here are a few images I was given as examples.


Chocolate shaped like a human heart.

Chin Exerciser


An urn shaped like a head.
'So beautiful, you might mistake it for art!' apparently.




I also found a couple of my own examples shown below.






It was also suggested that I look at products which are advertised using fear. This is because there is an element of fear attached to my tin foil hat product as people would buy it to protect their brains from aliens.

I found these two shopping channel adverts which use fear to help sell a product.

The fear of someone stealing your food.
 
The fear of home invasion and your gun isn't close enough to grab it.

Apart from these I found some print ads that use fear. However these are not used to sell a product, but to persuade or alert the viewer in relation to campaigns.



 Apart from this last one I found. Which is a cosmetic surgery advert playing on people's vanity and fear of being ugly and therefore fear of mirrors.

 This second one uses fear of being fat on your wedding day to sell a dieting product. This kind of fear is used a lot to sell diet foods, diet regimes and programmes like WeightWatchers. It is also a good example of a very effective advert with little or no text. The picture is very obvious and it is easy to understand the message.

I also found some much older advertisements that used a certain amount of fear to help sell a product or idea.



I will have to think about what sort of style I am going to use in my adverts/packaging and what sort of tactics I am going to use to reinforce people's fear and encourage them to buy the product.

1 comment:

  1. Just used your blog post here as a resource for the paper I'm writing. Thanks for collecting all these ads in one place!

    ReplyDelete