Sunday 29 January 2012

Hat Design Research - Claudia Schulz

The next hat designer I looked at what Claudia Schulz. She is not as well known as the two previous designers and her hats are a little more suited to everyday wear rather than special occasions or the catwalk. Which I think is a good reason for me to look at her work because a lot of Stephen Jones and Philip Treacy's work is a little extravagant and outrageous sometimes. All hats are taken from her website here and are from multiple collections.

I like these two hat designs because of the zip detailing. Although putting zips on clothes without them being a functioning fastening is not a new thing, this is the first time I have seen them be used on a hat like this.

I also really like the modern twist the designer has combined here with the classic feminine cloche hat. Very suited to my project and all equally inspiring.


The two designs above are probably my favourite of hers. I like the small brim and the way the hat continues down the back of the neck.
This design is very much the epitome of the modern cloche. The tiny embellishment on the top also emphasises the bell-like appearance.
These three hats are also interesting twists on classic millinery styling.

I think it has been really useful for me to look at Claudia Schulz's designs because it has shown me a more commercial side of millinery. These designs were much more reasonably prices for the everyday person to buy. Plus they are also much more modest which makes them ideal for everyday wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment