Friday 25 November 2011

Wood Workshop

In this workshop, we were put into small groups and given a woodwork machine to simplify and replicate to 1/6 scale. I was a bit unsure as to how this workshop was going to pan out, as I don't really enjoy group work. But once I got into the work we had been given, it wasn't all that bad. my group was given the sanding machine.



So we measure all the different aspects of the machine and then divided each figure by 6 to get the scaled down measurements. Here are the diagrams we used to help work out the dimensions.





Then we collected some scrap wood and drew out all the pieces. We then cut them out and sanded them. The two round shapes on the machine were quite tricky but I think we handled them quite well. We then glued all the pieces together and added some thick aluminium wire for two of the pipes on the machine for a final finishing touch.



I then took it home to paint it. Unfortunately, some of the pieces came off while I was transporting it home so I had to stick it back together again. I painted it using a red-brown colour for the sanding disk and a black-grey colour for the metal part of the machine. I decided to leave the large supporting block unpainted because the actual table the machine was on was made of wood. I only used these two colours to keep it minimal, in line with the simple geometric shapes we used to represent each part of the machine.


I'm really pleased with the way this model turned out and I think it was a good effort from me and my group. I think I did a good job on getting the paint colours right and painted it neatly too. I will definitely be more comfortable using all the woodwork machine now if a project that I'm working on requires me to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment