Monday 5 March 2012

Casualties Union

One of the ideas mentioned in the project launch was to do with the Casualties Union (website here) This is an organisation that train people in how to recreate realistic injuries with make up and how to act accordingly to portray certain conditions, for example a heart attack. These skills are then used in emergency services and military training events to make the situation feel more realistic. Some examples:


This is obviously quite an extreme form of simulation and is meant to  be shocking to provide as realistic an experience as possible for the medical personnel during the training exercises in order to prepare them for dealing with these injuries/conditions in the real world. It's also quite a morbid set of skills to have and quite an unusual organisation to be a part of, but obviously a very important one.

About 8 years ago I actually did a very brief course on Casualty Simulation with St. John Ambulance Cadets. We were taught the basics of recreating cuts, bruises and blisters. However, it was a long time ago so I don't remember it in great detail, but I do member bits and pieces. So this may be advantageous if I did decide to centre my project around the idea of casualty simulation. I will have to see what other ideas I come across in my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment